Sustainable, Recycled Canberra House
- Winner – Chris Reardon Memorial Award for Residential Sustainable Buildings. (Building Designers Association, National Awards: 2019)
- Winner – People’s Choice Award. (Master Builder’s Association, ACT Building Excellence Awards: 2019)
- Winner – Best Sustainable Design. (Building Designers Association, ACT Awards: 2017)
- Builder – 360 Building Solutions
- Photographer – Kasey Funnell Photography
- Rammed Earth – Earth Structures Australia
- Rammed earth walling internally
- Recycled bricks and recycled timber
- Triple-glazed Aluminium-Timber composite Döpfner Windows from Laros Technologies
- Intello-plus internal wall membrane
- Hydronic in-slab heating
- 9.6kW Grid-feed solar photovoltaic system
- 2500L PolyTank rainwater storage
- Kitchen cabinet design to minimise dust collection
- Cross flow ventilation
- Low VOC paints/sealer/varnish
Craftsmanship and thermal efficiency combine in this double-height entry space. Acting as a thermal chimney, it also showcases the owners’ love for timber joinery and custom detailing. The rammed earth wall acts as a tactile guidepost, leading the visitor through to the rooms beyond.
Storage, space and function
The kitchen balances large amounts of storage with generous circulation and preparation space. A home office is hidden behind sleek cabinetry. Laundry, pantry and wine storage nestle in the thermally-stable heart of the home, behind rammed earth walls. The kitchen is the social hub of the house, with connection to all living areas, including the outdoor deck.
The generous north-facing triple-glazed slider connects onto the adjacent outdoor living area, effectively doubling the size of the living room and maximising solar gains in wintertime.
The house features custom timber joinery and recycled timber – a mix of the owner’s craftsmanship and the builders’. The timber and rammed earth bring warmth and texture to the otherwise minimalist palette.